Monday, September 3, 2012

DIY Flavored Butter Recipe

Yesterday, I decided to take a little break from blogging, writing articles and from sitting on the couch for a while tending to my agenda.  I felt that it was time to make some things in the kitchen.

About three or four days ago, I finally got in the mood to make some brownies from one of the mixes.  And they got gobbled up quick.  There's always gluten free brownies in the refrigerator for Jake as he also has celiac disease.  But I hadn't had the other kind in a long time.  What a treat it was to whip them up and then get a spoon to eat from the bowl.  Talking about the good old days when I was growing up and my sister, brother and I got to take turns as to who got to scrape the bowl.  My sister and I usually each got a beater, but one of us got to have the bowl to ourselves.

And on Saturday I bought a few fixings as I had seen a pin on Pinterest for the flavored butters that  you mix and roll up.

Yesterday, I got making one.  I did mine a little differently as I didn't have the Pinterest recipe right in front of me.

Basil Italian Flavored Butter recipe

3 sticks margarine or butter
5 squirts of lime juice
2-3 tbsp Italian herb seasoning 
2 tbsp basil
1-2 tbsp lemon pepper spice

Note:  you could replace the lime juice with lemon juice if you want.  I ran out of lemon so I used lime instead.

Set your margarine and butter out at room temperature for a little bit.  Then mix it all together.    If you want the log format, roll up in either tin foil or plastic wrap.  I decided that I wanted to put mine in an empty ricotta container.  I like to sometimes recycle containers for this sort of thing.

Another Flavored Butter

3 sticks of margarine or butter
3 tbsp cream cheese
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
Salt & pepper to taste (white pepper optional)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Mix all together, chill and use later in your recipes.


Yet another flavored butter

3 sticks butter or margarine
1-6 garlic cloves
1-2 tbsp olive oil
2-tbsp chives
1-2 tbsp thyme
1-2 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp mayonaise

Leave margarine out at room temperature.  Chop garlic cloves up really fine and mince.  Saute in olive oil.  When done, set aside to cool before adding to margarine.  Then, mix all together and chill to later use in recipes.

Jennifer Jo Fay

Copyrighted September 3, 2012

Note:  The two bottom recipes, I haven't done yet, but just wrote up a few concoctions that would be tempting to later try.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment