Tuesday, May 30, 2017

When should You Publish?

I don't think there should be a deadline to publishing. The book is done when you think it is ready. Not when someone else thinks it is ready.

Of course there are deadlines when other people set them for you. That cannot be escaped. If that's the case, then you better get it done in due time. Don't delay when you know you will be panicking when your deadline is fast approaching.

In most cases, we want the book to be perfect, without flaws. So, we push the publishing date as far out as we can possibly set it.

There is no set time frame for publishing though if you are going at your own pace. The most important thing is to make sure your book is to your liking. Edit, edit, and edit more until you think it looks flawless.

Keep in mind, no book is flaw free. All books could stand to be edited in some way or other.

Some people can publish a book within a two week time frame, a month, several months or more like a year or longer. In some cases, ten years or more to write that one book.

Then, on the other hand, there is the occasional writer who claims he can write thirty books in a month. You have to question how he or she can do that. They may tell you Dragon Naturally Speaking software. But still. 30 books? Seriously?

I can sometimes publish several poetry books within a few months time frame, and then longer for a novel. I seem like it takes me more like 2 to 3 months or longer to write a novel. And I've had some novels that have taken me several years to write. Like The Glorious Money Trilogy: Book One. That one book took forever. Although, I did take serious breaks from that and knitted and other stuff.

It just depends. I keep thinking how quick could I write a book if I wrote longer each day. Or if I wrote instead of knitting. Who knows.

Publish when you think it is ready. You will know as your instincts should remind you it is  done. Go for it.

Don't wait for other people to tell you it isn't done yet. Publish it.

Jennifer Jo Fay
Copyrighted May 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment